Jakarta Provincial Government and Jakarta Smart City Management
November 2019 – present
Digitization & New Technologies; Perspectives on Productivity, Governance, and Development
Developed by the Jakarta Smart City Management, the Jakarta Kini (JAKI) App is a one-stop solution mobile application for a variety of local government services.
Background and Problems
The integration of government services in a megacity whose metropolitan area covers 6,392 square kilometers presents complex problems. The sheer amount of data involved in providing such services required infrastructure that was unsustainable during the early 2000s. With the arrival of technological advances in mobile computing, the consolidation of all necessary information while including functionality for citizens became both achievable and sustainable in the long term.
The Jakarta local government tested the waters of citizen engagement through mobile applications with Qlue in 2016 and the Citizen Relationship Management (CRM) App in 2017. However, both almost exclusively dealt with non-emergency complaints and concerns and did not utilize information functionalities.
Solution and Impact
The Jakarta Smart City Management introduced the Jakarta Kini (JAKI) App to its citizens in November 2019. The platform features broad multifunctionality, providing 14 distinct functions as of October 2021:
- JakWarta: an official news source directly from the DKI Jakarta Provincial Government
- JakLapor: a rapid community response (CRM) platform with geo-tagging features where residents can report crimes
- JakRespons: a tool where residents can monitor the status of their complaints and also assess the response to said complaints
- JakISPU: a tool that presents location-specific Air Pollution Standard Index (ISPU)
- JakSurvei: a platform where residents can rate public services and participate in other related surveys such as those about policies, facilities, and other official matters
- JakSiaga: a directory of emergency hotlines that is updated automatically
- JakApps: a collection of all the online services by the DKI Jakarta Provincial Government
- JakPantau: a tool for monitoring the weather, river flow, and floodgate information
- JakPangan: a tool for calculating food prices where the prices are constantly updated
- JakSafe JAKI: a tool for reporting when one is in a dangerous situation like an accident, medical emergency, criminal event, and alike
- JakSekolah: a collection of learning materials and classes for education levels kindergarten through high school which the general public may access.
- Jako: a one-stop access to the five different applications which have collaborated with the DKI Jakarta Provincial Government, namely Bukalapak, Gojek, Grab, Shopee, and Tokopedia
- JakServ: a day-to-day virtual aide that primarily contains the departure and arrival schedules of buses at the Pulo Gebang Integrated Terminal
- JakPenda: a tool for checking and calculating citizens’ taxes
- Jejak: a tool that monitors visitors’ movement in and out of specific buildings via the scanning of QR codes
- Chatbot: a Java virtual assistant that can provide information about population, emergencies and disasters, health and COVID-19, social aid, vaccination, reporting channels, and other government services.
- JakWifi: a tool for finding free public Wi-Fi in Jakarta
- Tes-Mandiri: a platform that can access the Corona Likelihood Metric (CLM) self-assessment tool that evaluates a citizen’s possible risk of contracting COVID-19
- Zonasi: a tool to detect the risk level of COVID-19 surrounding the citizen.
JAKI integrates various public services in the Jakarta municipality and provides enhanced functionality and citizen engagement which ties directly and efficiently to the relevant platforms. The COVID-19 pandemic has also pushed the JAKI team to add crucial functionalities such as contact tracing and free distance learning. This speaks to a potential for flexibility on how local governance can be consolidated with pandemic response.
As of October 2021, the app has a rating of 3.8 stars in the Google Play store, based on over 8400 ratings. Also, it was awarded with “Best in Future Digital Innovation” by the International Data Corporation (IDC) of Indonesia on October 8, 2021. And as of October 25, 2021, the Jakarta app is now not only useful to the citizens of the province, but also tourists. According to a news article, it is now being mandated for tourists to download the application following the limited reopening of the province.
The following additional features are also in the pipeline for inclusion in the app:
- JakiID: a digital ID that will provide personalized service features to each citizen
- JakPay: a platform that will support the transparent and fair distribution of social assistance to citizens in need
- JakEvo Integration: a feature that will manage government permits in one integrated platform
- e-Resident Document: a tool that will provide an electronic resident document
- Online Hospital Queuing System: a platform where a citizen will be provided a queue number for a hospital appointment.
Photo: The JAKI App as found on the Google Apps Store, touting a 4 and a half star rating based on over 8400 ratings (Source: Google Play Store) as of October 25, 2021
Photo: The JAKI App is discussed in a forum in South Jakarta (Source: CoHive)
DKI Jakarta Provincial Government. (n.d.). JAKI App. JAKI App Website. https://jaki.jakarta.go.id/en/
Evandio, A. (2021, October 8). IDC future enterprise award, Berikut Perusahaan Pemenang: Teknologi. Bisnis.com. Retrieved October 25, 2021, from https://teknologi-bisnis-com.translate.goog/read/20211008/266/1452021/idc-future-enterprise-award-berikut-perusahaan-pemenang?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fil&_x_tr_pto=nui.
Ranggasari, R. (2021, October 25). Jakarta starts reopening tourist attractions. Tempo. Retrieved October 25, 2021, from https://en.tempo.co/read/1520888/jakarta-starts-reopening-tourist-attractions.
Tempo Interactive. (2020, January 17). Indonesia: Jakarta smart city to launch apps on flood warning. PreventionWeb. https://www.preventionweb.net/news/view/70069
Tempo.co. (2021, October 8). Menang di IDC awards 2021, Ini 13 FITUR Unggulan Aplikasi jaki warga Jakarta. Tempo. Retrieved October 8, 2021, from https://metro.tempo.co/read/1515100/menang-di-idc-awards-2021-ini-13-fitur-unggulan-aplikasi-jaki-warga-jakarta/full&view=ok. Tobing, A. G. L. (n.d.). JSC to Launch Jakarta Kini App for SKPD Programs. Beritajakarta.Id. https://m.beritajakarta.id/en/read/31788/JSC-to-Launch-Jakarta-Kini-App-for-SKPD-Programs